Tuesday, March 29, 2011

London...Monday Afternoon

It's lunch time and we were all very hungry.. When leaving the Abbey, we asked if there were any good places to eat close by. The Albert was recommened, so off we went. It was only a few blocks away. Before we knew it and a few pictures later, we were there.


Mason, Steve and I enjoyed our lunch but I can't say that Rebecca and Sarah did. The Albert serves alcohol and because of Sarah's age, they had us sit in a back room, so we didn't really get to enjoy the flavor of the restaurant. Oh well....

We finished our much needed lunch and off to the Tower of London we went. We saw it the night before, but wanted to see it in the day time. As we walked to the tube station, we went by Big Ben, West Minister Abbey and The House of Parliament for the last time. We took more pictures of the beautiful statues and architecture along the way, and said our goodby's to downtown London.


My legs were a little sore from the day before. All those stairs in the tube stations.. WOW!

It would of been fun to have known how many we went up and down. All I can tell you is, it was a hole lot of stairs.

We didn't go inside the Tower of London. It cost 18 pounds per person which is like $25.00, so we just rested our tired bones and took more pictures. I'm sure it would of been a great tour. Through it's years it been a fortress, palace, home of the Crown Jewels and national treasures, arsenal, mint, prison, observatory, zoo and tourist attraction. It's over 900 years old. The two men standing guard are called Beefeaters.


The Tower of London is right next to the Thames river, and that is where you will find the Tower Bridge. Both places were prettier to see at night with all the lights, but I'm glad we went back during the day. The bridge was built in 1894. It was built in the Gothic style to blend in with the near by Tower of London.


Our London time was coming to a close. One more trip back to Harrods for more wonderful chocolates, one more tube station and a 45 minute train ride back to the airport.



We flew on Ryanair. They have great specials on their flights. There's no fluff when you fly with them, but you can't beat the price.

We landed in Frankfurt-Hahn airport and had an hour and a half car ride home. The drive home was uneventful with no ice or snow on the roads. It must of been just after 11:00pm when Steve dropped us off at our door step.. Mason didn't have to work the next day but I did. I had made arrangements with work to come in late so I could sleep in a bit. I knew I'd be beat by the time we got home.


Our three day trip to London was fabulous.. I can't tell you how much I loved London. If you haven't been, I hope that you will go someday..

(because it took me so long to blog everything I wanted to about London, I'm a little behind on some other stuff to tell you about)


but for now I'll say goodnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment